How to Make a Wooden Spoon

Following on from my previous post about 'green woodworking', one of the assistants on the course I went on was a guy called 'Barn'. Now, renamed 'Barn the Spoon', he has apparently been walking around the UK, making wooden spoons in return for food and shelter.

Robin Wood (honestly, that's his name) had him stay for a while in October and blogged about it here, here and here. In fact, whilst I'm mentioning Robin, he has a whole website category on spoon carving which you can check out here. I actually have a bowl made by Robin which was a birthday present from my wife a few years ago - the style is called a 'porringer' - I'll put some images on the blog soon - it's a gorgeous bowl to eat from!

Anyway, back to Barn the Spoon - I found a series of 4 videos with him demonstrating how to carve a spoon from a freshly cut branch. Apparently, when he's not being filmed and explaining everything, he can complete a spoon in around 14 minutes.

This is pretty impressive stuff - watch and enjoy!



Barn the Spoon and How to Make A Wooden Spoon part 1
from Ed and Will on Vimeo.


Barn the Spoon, and How To Make A Wooden Spoon part 2
from Ed and Will on Vimeo.


Barn the Spoon, and How To Make A Wooden Spoon part 3
from Ed and Will on Vimeo.


Barn the Spoon, and How To Carve A Wooden Spoon part 4
from Ed and Will on Vimeo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life, the universe...

My wooden bowl